We took into consideration the 7 best performing snowmobile helmets in the market and examined them for over 12 hours. And, all this led to the conclusion that 509 Altitude Helmet (2X, Blacklist) is the best among all these snowmobile helmets by a good margin. It shines in a number of spheres including quality, durability and additional useful features.
An affordable purchase can be made in the form of Dual Visor Modular Flip up Gloss Black Motorcycle Snowmobile Helmet DOT (S) at just under 25 dollars. This because it offers almost comparable service to its much more expensive counterparts.
The purpose of your purchase can range from utility to recreation. And that requires a careful analysis of all your basic requirements to find the most suitable option for you. Let us first take a look at all the key factors that help us in reaching the final decision.
Factors To Consider Before Buying
Following are the key factors to keep in mind when buying the ideal snowmobile helmet for yourself:
Open Face/Full Face/Modular
An open face helmet is the most affordable of the three types. It offers you a lot of freedom in terms of the choice of your eyewear, the access to your face and the all-around ease of putting it on and taking it off.
The claustrophobic people are more likely to buy it since it does not restrict the face at all. But, it is also the least unsafe of all the three types. The full face helmet is a one-piece solution with the face shield, chin guard and the helmet, all fused together into one unit.
However, it has its own share of fogging up and poor ventilation problem. Modular helmets offer you the middle ground between the open face and the full face extremes but with a hefty price tag.
Here, your main concern should be to find something that will not restrict you breathability and also keep you warm and dry at all times. The breath box present in few of the snowmobile helmets will solve this problem for you by preventing the moisture generated during your breathing from fogging up the helmet screen.
Proper ventilation is maintained with the help of a variety of vents installed all over the helmet. They can be present within it with permanent fixtures. Or, you might get the ones that can be easily removed and attached for added comfort.
You snowmobile helmet absolutely needs to be DOT certified. That is the basic security measure that you will require if you are planning to participate in a high-speed sport such as snowmobiling. When you are going out to explore the rough snow-covered terrains then you need to cover yourself from head to toe in protective gear that comes with standard certifications.
You might have to shell out a bit more for the quality and DOT certified products but it will serve you in a far better way without you having to gamble with your life at every turn.
Now, it is time to take a look at the best snowmobile helmet options present in the market today.
Best Snowmobile Helmets Review
The seven best snowmobile helmets present in the market today are:
1. Dual Visor Modular Flip up Gloss Black Motorcycle Snowmobile Helmet DOT (S)
This helmet comes with the reassuring DOT certification thus making its that safety net for you on all your adventures. Handle it easily even with gloves on which is a must in case of snowmobile helmets.
The dual visor features will let you convert it seamlessly from a full face helmet to an open face one without any sort of trouble. It is properly ventilated and lined to keep you warm and dry at the same time without any sort of discomfort.
- Comes with the built-in sunglasses to improve your visibility in all kinds of weather conditions.
- At just under $25, you will find it to be one of the most affordable yet value for money helmets in its class.
- With a single click on the one-hand Flip-up System of the helmet, you can instantly convert it from a full face to an open face helmet.
- The inner liner facilitates the sweat absorption to help you stay dry and fresh at all times.
- Liners can also be removed easily to wash it when the sweat has been accumulated in it beyond the tolerable limits of hygiene.
- Some helmets come with a faulty print on the helmet that is clearly visible.
- The size issues may trouble you if you do not make the selection properly while placing the order.
2. Adult Snocross Snowmobile Helmet & Goggle Combo – Matte Black, Carbon Fiber Print (Large)
This helmet and goggle combo come as separate units but they are meant to function together as a unit and they do that job excellently. You can also use these goggles separately if you desire when you are not participating in any kind of snow sport.
You get the clear and rose lenses with them to customize it as per your preference. A snug fit, silicone-ribbed strap to hold it in place and triple foam construction are the many features that make this helmet all the more useful for you.
- This combo of the goggles and helmet is available at a very affordable price of around $73.
- DOT certified, lined with the sweat absorbing liner and fitted with a removable breathing box are few of the many useful features of this helmet.
- Comes with several removable accessories that can be used if and when required.
- Breath guard will help you in keeping the insides of the helmet clean and fog-free at all times.
- Lightweight yet a strong body of the helmet will protect you from all kinds of troubles when you use it.
- If you don’t keep track of all the removable parts, you might lose them and thus lose an important feature of the helmet with it.
- Removable vents that come with it can break when used on a daily basis even with careful handling.
3. 509 Altitude Helmet (2X, Blacklist)
The four main areas that have been given special attention in the development of this helmet are – style, fit, performance and safety. It provides next level protection against crashes and is known to exceed the DOT and ECE 2205 safety standards.
All the above mentioned innovative features have been the result of the thermoplastic poly alloy shell that has been used in its construction. It is extremely light and offers amazing strength to keep it safe and sound at all times.
- The cold weather breath box is supplied along with this helmet.
- Presence of innovative dual density interlocking EPS foam liner makes it more comfortable to use.
- A specially designed expanded polyurethane has been inserted in the chin area to offer proper defense against the front impact.
- Also comes in sizes for young adults and kids.
- Comes with 8 intake vent ports for proper ventilation throughout the helmet.
- The quick release strap has to be purchased separately.
- You might have to order a size bigger than you actually use to get the correct fit.
4. ILM Motorcycle Dual Visor Flip Up Modular Full Face Helmet DOT with 6 Colors (L, MATTE BLACK)
It is a full face helmet that comes with the functionality of an open face version. It impresses us when it comes to safety, functionality and the overall application with its innovative features. The perfectly streamlined chin guard gives you the comfort of a full face helmet.
With just a single press, you can flip open the helmet and remove the inner pads if required. You can easily clean these removable pads and reuse it to maintain a decent hygiene within your helmet.
- The anti-scratch, anti-fog and wide clear Visor will let you have a clear view of the path ahead at all times.
- The sleek design will keep the wind noise to a minimum.
- Offers utmost safety since it conforms completely to the FMVSS-218 and DOT Safety Standards.
- You stay protected at all time with the help of its High Resistance ABS Shell that comes with a Micrometrically Adjustable Strap.
- Comes with two visors – black tinted and a clear one which can be easily opened individually as per your comfort.
- Some buyers are complaining that it does not block the wind noise properly.
- The lock system might break only after a few months of use.
5. AFX FX-39 Unisex-Adult Full-Face-Helmet-Style Dual Sport Helmet (Pearl White, Medium)
For offering you a smooth driving experience, you get the aerodynamically aligned poly-alloy plastic shell helmet that is as light as it is strong. The liners and cheek pads present within it are hypo-allergenic and antimicrobial that can be removed and cleaned quite easily.
The scratch resistant body also offers ample protection against the harmful UV rays. It is very well ventilated and offers you the premium level of water resistance. At $144.95, it definitely lies in the high-end shelf but it seems worth it when all the features are taken into consideration.
- The shield of this full-face helmet can easily be removed if you want to use goggles or ride open face.
- You don’t have to use the Visor if you don’t want and still use the Flip-up, flush fit, quick-release shield functions of the helmet.
- Quite comfortable and functional lining will keep you at your driving best at all times.
- Use it for daily traveling and commute too aside from snowmobiling adventures.
- To make sure you get the most accurate view at all times, it comes with the Optically correct, and compound-curved highlights.
- The Visor might come in the line of sight when you open it and drive.
- Features might be a bit too hard to figure out and actually benefit from.
6. Core Vintage Open Face Helmet (Flat Black, Large)
If you enjoy those quirky 60s retro looks in your helmet then you will surely admire what this helmet has to offer. It comes in a retro package with the advanced comfort and safety features. You get the snug fit and padding of the Diamond Stitch Breathable Comfort Liner on the insides of the helmet.
The simple and easy to use features of this helmet might be exactly what you are looking for. It comes with the ease of customization. This makes it all the more useful than its current counterparts which might not be able to predict your requirements accurately.
- The surface is coated with automotive paint that gives it that glossy and long-lasting finish.
- It exceeds the DOT FMSV218 standard with the help of its highly safe and secure shell.
- The shell is made out of lightweight, injection molded outer shell which is combined with a selected density polystyrene impact absorbing liner.
- This shell will absorb and disperse the impact energy in case of an accident thus keeping you safe at all cost.
- With the help of the Double D-Ring retention system, you will always have a comfortable and secure grip on the helmet under the chin.
- The eye protection is absent from the basic structure of this helmet.
- You won’t get the bells and whistles with this model if you were hoping for at least a few freebies.
7. Motorcycle Modular Full Face Helmet DOT Approved – YEMA YM-925 Motorbike Moped Street Bike Racing Crash Helmet
The helmet is backed by the experience of over 20 years. This means you will get a tried and tested product. This professional grade helmet completely adheres to the DOT safety features and comes with a comfortable fit.
- Has sufficient room within the helmet for the sunglasses, Bluetooth and removable liners.
- After a few hours of use, it contours to your head to give you that amazing fit.
- At just under $100, you will be getting way more than what you pay for with this helmet.
- You don’t need any kind of tools to remove and install the clear visor as per your will.
- The other amazing features of this helmet are Aerodynamic ABS Shell, Multi-Density EPS, Reinforced Chin Strap and the Quick Release Buckle.
- The Velcro or ratchet style would have been much better instead.
- It might take you some time to locate all the switches within the helmet without actually looking at it.
This detailed account of the top 7 snowmobile helmets brings us to the end of this article.
Buying a new snowmobile helmet is a very important decision. And, you need to take your time researching and making your decision. The 509 Altitude Helmet (2X, Blacklist) is the best among all the snowmobile helmets in our opinion.
Which one do you currently possess and what made you go for it in the first place? Tell us about it in the comment section below. Also, you might like to share this informative article and update your friends and family about the same too.